Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 3 - Report and Reflection

Hello Everyone,

This week was all about RSS Feeds and being introduced to Feedly.  This was my first experience with RSS Feeds and they are a great tool to stay up to date with news.  They are a way to keep track of your favourite websites in one feed.  It involves subscribing to online news which is then continuously updated and delievered to you.  What a time saver!

In the past, you had to manually bookmark your favourite websites for news and visit them.  After reading "What is RSS?," it doesn't make sense to waste time to find articles by searching the web.

After setting up my RSS feed using Feedly,  I have already saved time and found articles that I wouldn't have discovered.  One item on my Feedly that I found interesting has already been highlighted in my blog entitled "My Experience with RSS Feeds."

After checking my feed daily, there are many articles that have provided me with knowledge that I wouldn't have discovered so easily.  For example, the Brock News highlighted Milan Doczy, a member of the Brock University's Men's Hockey team.  I don't know him personally however I have friends on the team and my previous TA was his billet.  I heard that Doczy had cancer but I didn't know the whole story behind what was going on.  Doczy is from Czech Republic and had to leave his parents behind in order to persue his hockey dream in the OHL.  This is what many teenagers have to go through and it can be tough.  He then chose to attend Brock and unfortunately got diagnosed with cancer.  Being from Czech Republic, he doesn't get the benefits of the Canadian Health System.  He needs the support of fellow students and the hockey community in order to raise funds for his treatment!  I can't imagine being in his circumstances and the Owen Sound Attack and the Brock Community are making strides to help through the "Do it for Doczy" Campaign.



For more information on how you can help, read this article: Brock Set to Rally Behind "Do it for Doczy".

My RSS Feed provides me with reading to enhance my knowledge of current events and news.  You can never have too much information.  It was time consuming looking for articles that interest me online but now they are easily accessible.  Feedly is a great tool for up to date information.  It will help by being a career tool and enhance my socializing in my PLE.  My current internship involves researching hockey related articles and sharing them online so this tool will help find articles.  It will also provide knowledge that I could use to communicate in the community.

Hope you enjoyed my thoughts and articles this week!

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment