Sunday, January 11, 2015

Week 1 - Digital Footprints

Hello Everyone,

This week in ADED, we have focused on digital footprints.  So what exactly does that mean?  A digital footprint is the information on the internet about you.  Everyone has a digital footprint that can create a positive or negative impression of an individual.

During my university career, I have always tried to stay away from creating a digital footprint (i.e. no twitter or blogs).  I was always afraid that it could impact my future by posting my views and opinions on certain subjects.  After watching the video "Digital Dossier" found here:
It shows how digital footprints are created without you even trying to create one.  Employers search backgrounds during hiring processes so it is important as an individual to have a positive digital footprint that makes you stand out from all the others.  I have never wanted to share my views online because as it is stated in an article by "djainslie" entitled "Maintaing a Positive Digital Footprint", everything published on the web is there forever for anyone to see.  The important takeaway is to keep posts professional so it doesn't hinder your reputation and future. 

Everyone should want to have a positive digital footprint and I will continue to have a professional presence.  Upon completing the Digital Footprint Scavenger Hunt, I conducted a Google search for my name and besides a prominent American basketball player and author, my Linkedin was a top result.  The professional attitude is also demonstrated in the article Netiquette by Virginia Shea.  The ability to have Netiquette can create a positive digital footprint by staying professional and not offending anyone.

Upon completion of the Digital Driver's License Exam found in the textbook, my knowledge for digital citizenship was reinforced and I had a greater understanding of the elements that create it.  I was able to score high on the exam and the categories of "Digital Commerce" and "Digital Law" were the most intriguing to me.  As I went through the questions for these two categories, it required a deeper thinking because they can be unpredictable with change.

Thanks for reading my thoughts on Digital Footprints!

Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment