Friday, March 20, 2015

Week 9 - Exploring VoiceThread

Hey Everyone,

This week, we were tasked with exploring VoiceThread which allowed us to connect with other students to discuss digital rights and responsibilities.  VoiceThread was new to me and I throughouly enjoyed using it.  It's a great tool for generating discussion on topics or even something as simple as a photo.  VoiceThread adds a personal touch by allowing you to record your voice and it's a nice change from reading text.  I shared this thought with the Twitter world and got a retweet from VoiceThread!

If you haven't had a chance to check out VoiceThread, I reccomend it.  Personally, I gain the most knowledge when interacting and starting a debate.  It allows individuals to learn from one another.  VoiceThread would be a tool that I could use for learning from the opinions and evidence that others provide.  In lectures, I remember knowledge easier from when the professor talks about it rather than the slides.


Before the start of this course, I didn't have a grasp for digital rights or responsibilities.  However, I realized that they have always been around.  For example, we looked at Acceptable Use Policies or AUP's which are an agreement for acceptable behaviour on the web.  These are important for learning in schools because it limits the dangers for children including inappropriate websites or explicit images.  I remember being in elementary school and hating when game sites were blocked but it made me more productive.  At the time, I thought teachers were just being mean but I know they were being a good digital citizen.

Speaking of schools, don't forget to get involved in my blog discussion involving cameras in classrooms.  Take a look: Scenario 13: Cameras in Classrooms.

As for my Feedly this week, let's celebrate St. Patricks day and look at how the Kalamazoo Wings celebrated by playing on green ice.  It has been a tradition for the team since 1982!

Check out the video of the team making it green: Green Ice for St Patty's Day.

Hope you enjoyed my thoughts this week!

-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment