Monday, March 23, 2015

Week 10 - Slideshow Tools and Copyrights

Hey Everyone,

We learned about a few new things this week including Animoto and other slideshow tools.  These tools allow use to share our knowledge in a creative way.  Before this week, I was only aware of PowerPoint and Prezi as Slideshow tolls and had no idea that there were so many others available.  I still have my favourites like PowerPoint and Prezi but I have a better understanding of whats available in the digital world.

Retrieved from: www.thephotographeracademy.com


In addition this week, we learned about copyrights.  Copyrights are the exclusive legal rights given an originator or assignee to print, perform, publish, film, or record literary material or music and to authorize others to do the same.  The readings that stood out to me this week involved remixing.  Remixing is the process of extending someone else's work.  For example, all artists are remixers because something inspired them to create something new.  The Ted Talk comparing Bob Dylans music to others really got me thinking about copyrights because his songs are so similar to others.  Coming from a music background and family, I notice songs that are similar to others when they are released.  Music copyrights are very complicated and only recently have been challenged including Robin Thicke having to pay the Marvin Gaye family for stealing the same melody.  Check out this research: Similar Songs and Possible Copyright Issues.

Copyrights are also an interesting topic in schools.  The number of teachers and professors that don't source material is astonishing.  If they don't do it, how is that leading by example for students?

As for my presentation that I created on Copyrights this week, I used a tool called Animoto. Animoto is a cloud-based video creation service that produces video from photos, video clips, and music.  I enjoyed using Animoto for the first time because it is a unique way to create a slideshow and brings photos to life. It reminds me of Prezi when I explored it a few weeks earlier. This would be a great tool for presentations at school in a relaxed environment.  For more formal presentations, I would consider using another tool like PowerPoint.  The one issue I had with Animoto was inserting the images into the slideshow.  It only takes certain dimensions and photos come in all shapes and sizes.  It limited what photos I could use because it would crop part of the image.

As for my Feedly this week, I had the opportunity to see my own article!  I covered an article for the Professional Hockey Players' Association on the career of David Leggio.  Remember that goalie that pushed the net off intentionally on a 2-on-none breakaway?  Check out my article: The Underdog Story of David Leggio.

Thanks for reading!

-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment